Tuesday 13 August 2013

V3 Hot Seat: WhiteHat Security CTO and founder Jeremiah Grossman


Whitehat CTO Jeremiah Grossman
Tech entrepreneur Jeremiah Grossman claims he started his first business when he was just eight years old, going on to create so many companies he can't actually remember them all. However it was only in 2001 the then Yahoo information security officer claims he really hit his stride, founding WhiteHat Security.
Headquartered in Santa Clara, California the company offers bespoke website defence systems to businesses of all sizes across the globe and lists itself as serving dozens of Fortune 500 businesses and in sectors including e-commerce, financial services, information technology and healthcare.
Grossman's Hot Seat is the latest from V3, following on from a host of leading industry figures ranging from government chief operating officer Stephen Kelly to Hotels.com chief technology officer Stuart Silberg.
V3: What's your favourite part of your current job?
Grossman: The best part of my job is getting to work on extremely hard problems that are important to the world, with the extremely smart people who are necessary to solve them.

What would be your dream job (apart from your current role, of course)?
I think I'd like to be a cage fighter, or a Geneticist. I can never decide which to do first.

Which mobile phone and tablet do you currently use?
At the moment I just use an iPhone 5.

Which person do you most admire in the IT industry?
There are a handful of people I admire, but top of the list is Robert "RSnake" Hansen.

Which technology has had the biggest impact on your working life?
For me HTTP has had the biggest impact.

What's been the highlight of your career so far?
There have been so many, it's hard to choose just one, but probably WhiteHat Security's first paying customer.

What was your first job?
I actually have no clue. I've been working and starting little businesses since I was eight.

What's your favourite thing about working in the IT industry?
For me it's that very few of the problems faced by modern society can't be solved, or at least substantially improved upon, by the work we do every day. IT makes people's lives better.

What will be the next big innovation of the coming years?
I have no idea, but I think big advancements are coming in the area of Life Sciences.

What do you do enjoy doing when you finish work?
I never really 'finish' work, but when I stop for a moment, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is my other passion.

What keeps you awake at night?
My children keep me awake.
Who is your favourite band or musician?
I rarely listen to music.

Where's your favourite holiday destination? Or favourite place for escape?
I live in Maui so I don't really need to escape.

Ereaders or real books?
I use both.

Twitter, Facebook or Google+?
I prefer Twitter.

Favourite film?
I rarely watch movies, but The 13th Warrior is probably one of my favorites.

Windows or Mac OS?
I use Mac OS X.

On-premise or cloud?
I use whatever gets the job done and fulfills the business requirements.

How can we get more school children interested in IT careers?
We can do this by getting more children interested in school in general, rather than making them view it as a compulsory life activity.

What websites do you have bookmarked at work?
I don't use bookmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment